Skip to main content

Ueda Tatsuya's last interview in his twenties. The history of his past 10 years. (2013)



 From KAT-TUN's formation to debut (19-23 years old)

Was it 4 years from KAT-TUN's formation 'till debut... When I hear the number, I wonder was it that short. Because it feels much longer to me. It's partly because I was allowed do do a solo live before debut, and I was quite busy with activities, but also because during those 4 years, Kanjani8 and NEWS made their debut first. Kanjani is a senpai so it's natural, but NEWS were formed after us and debuted before us, as expected it was a shock. Not us yet... And we gave up (laughs). So, during that time, we talked a lot "let's go with becoming a DVD talent" between us members. At that time, I didn't know if I could make my debut, and couldn't see the future at all, I asked myself what would happen. Because I was also thinking about taking the exam to enter university. In the end, I gave up taking the exam because the recording of the last day of POPJAM coincided with the date of taking the exam. I wonder if this was also fate's mischief. Because we continued in such a frustrating state, when the debut was finally decided, all the members were like "after all this time?!" (laughs). Everyone had passed the peak of wanting to debut. So, everyone's tension didn't change much after debut. Only the circumstances changed in various ways. Until then, music was doing what we wanted to do. Because, originally, we were a group with many fussy people. But when it comes to major debut it can't be like that. A lot of restrictions come up. Under such circumstances, we were honoured to do what we wanted to do in the same way as before. Then, we were misunderstood to be cheeky. There was a time I was told that. We wanted to make something that was just like us, but after suddenly debuting, we couldn't adapt to the work stance. In other words, perhaps until then we felt we were doing club activities, or the atmosphere of being friends. Youthfulness (laughs). 

Then fighting broke all the time between various combinations of members, and senpai had to intervene and stop the fight between Kame and me. Even Nakamaru was furious at Taguchi. You can't imagine it, right? The cause is everyone is stupid. For example, if while playing a game Taguchi wins, he can't help looking from above. He'll say something like "serves you right". Then, Koki and I will flip the table over and so on (laughs). Rumour has it that the manager at the time also had a terrible time handling us. No wonder (bitter smile). But now that I think about it, I wonder if I have become an adult (laughs).


Ueda Tatsuya's solo and KAT-TUN (24-28 years old)

In my twenties, I had a lot of irreplaceable experiences as well as solo. First it was maybe my first solo concert in 2008 "MOUSE PEACE". At that time, I was more positive about music than anyone else. I thought I could not do the songs I wanted with KAT-TUN. KAT-TUN's songs are a bit western-style, right? But what I wanted to do was classic JPOP. I like trendy songs, that's why I made and performed such songs in my solos during KAT-TUN's lives. I couldn't put those songs on the group's CD, so naturally I accumulated those songs. At that time I was also doing voice training. I also had a desire to bring out the quality of my voice in KAT-TUN. After that, I sang according to the key of the good singer. So I hated that I couldn't catch up to it. I also played the piano. Whenever I do something I go too deep. I hate it if there's something I can't agree with. So I'm really grateful I was able to make the solo concert. 

The first concert was really fun. To play my favourite music with my direction with the band I selected. I loved that feeling. I produced everything myself, also the concert goods, which were very popular. To be honest, once I was done, I thought I couldn't have done it any better. It was that kind of concert. After that I was given the chance of a second concert. I will never forget that. During the radio show, I got a phone call from an old man I didn't know and I wondered who it was. When I called back it was Johnny-san saying "YOU can go on a tour alone, do you want to do it?". I was surprised at that time (laughs). This concert is also memorable in many ways. Unlike the first sole, it was interesting because it was a large-scale venue production and organisation. However, I broke my bone during the concert and managed to still do it and hold on until the end. I think I did pretty well. Once I had a leg cramp during the MC. Shuzo Matsuoka was in the audience and he brought me some medicine. There's a sense of accomplishment after overcoming several happenings. I think the solo concert was a big turning point for me. 

But, at the same time, I think that KAT-TUN was a bit influenced by it as well. Nowadays, the members write lyrics and songs, and those songs are KAT-TUN's coupling. Even Taguchi who said "I'll never make a song" has recently started to make songs. Nowadays, it has become normal for everyone to write lyrics, so the members also started composing.

Also, I had a lot of experience in acting. The work that became a turning point was probably 'Runaway". Not because I had to shave my head for the role (laughs). That's right, at first it was talked that it would be a crew cut, but when it came to production I was told "it's 6mm". I was like "really?!", but because it was a role in which the hair was to be shaved with hair clippers during the production, soon it was futile to resist. Of course, I was prepared for it (laughs). I cannot forget that work because all the cast members were serious and amazing, and we overcame many walls. Actually, once I cried too much during rehearsal and I couldn't cry in the actual filming. Then Ichihara (Hayato), who doesn't appear in the scene, added the ad lib "What did you strengthen yourself for?" and I woke up. Thanks to that I was able to cry. It was a work blessed with really good friends that inspired me and changed the way I think about acting. 

Well, the very reason why I was able to do my solo activities and acting was because there was a placed to return to called KAT-TUN. Looking back, I've spent all my twenties as KAT-TUN. But I think it is a group that has gone through many things. Since the member formation also changed suddenly, each member thought about KAT-TUN seriously. We discussed it thoroughly in the first meeting. Make sense of now. That was time when each member felt like they were doing what they wanted, and we weren't interested in each other. But now we talk about a lot of things. If something happens we'll get together and talk. Well, it takes a long time step by step, but I think we are growing as a group. 


Life from now on (29 years old ~)

I didn't special attention to being at the end of my twenties. Because from January I have the new stage play "Tōmin suru kuma ni soine shite goran", I'm glad I'm off to a really good start. It's been 4 years since I've been on the stage and I think "what part of myself can I put into this work?". But I still look forward to it too. 

In the first half the role I play is that of a normal good boy, but a young man with two sides who becomes crazy in the second half. I've never played such a role before. In other words, it's my first time playing both personalities, bright and scary. What's more, it's a change that happens in one performance on stage, and I play it over and over again, right? When that happens I wonder, "what's going on with my own eyes?". Because I'm the type who dwells on the role. Of course, I think the acting will be a big highlight, and I'm myself both nervous and excited at the same time. I'm really looking forward to  working with director Hachikawa Yukio. It is often said "he's a scary person" but, when I actually met him, he was a very affectionate and kind person. That's why I thought people gather around him naturally. I think it will be really tough, but I'll do my best not to lose.

As for KAT-TUN... Well, within the group, of course I don't think there will be any special changes, and in a good way, I feel like it will not change. No matter how old we become we might still be doing this kind of music, that's one of the good things about KAT-TUN. Because KAT-TUN is KAT-TUN all the time! I think that maybe many fans also want it that way. I still don't know what's going on yet, but this is probably what I can say for now. 

As an individual? Hmm. I still haven't decided anything in regards to what I want to do, but I want to travel abroad with my male friends. Actually, I have never traveled abroad with friends. Hawaii is a good place!! What we'll do? I definitely want to go to the hotel's restaurant open buffet in the evening, and have a good time watching the sunset while listening to a live band. I want to make this come true (laughs).



*I ripped the pages off the magazine, so I don't know which magazine this is from*


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[SUBS] Nani Suru KAT-TUN? 2021.03.31 #0

 2021.03.31 Nani Suru KAT-TUN? #0 (562.8MB 39m41s).mp4 Subs: FchanHyphen Timing & typesetting: Citraryo Raw: FchanHyphen Download:  MEGA List of the 15 questions asked: Q1: Looking back frankly on the 15th anniversary since debut. ( Kamenashi ) Q2: Looking back frankly on the 15th anniversary since debut. ( Ueda ) Q3: Looking back frankly on the 15th anniversary since debut. ( Nakamaru ) Q4: What was the biggest change in yourself since debut. ( Ueda , Nakamaru , Kame ) Q5: The part which has not changed since debut. ( Nakamaru ) Q6: A song you're fond of. ( Kamenashi , Ueda , Nakamaru ) Q7: KAT-TUN's appeal and strenght. ( Ueda , Kamenashi , Nakamaru ) Q8: The relationship between the three of you in KAT-TUN. ( Ueda , Kamenashi , Nakamaru ) Q9: What do you think about being in an idol group? ( Kamenashi , Ueda , Nakamaru ) Q10: What is the motivation that kept KAT-TUN going? ( Ueda , Nakamaru , Kamenashi ) Q11: A word to KAT-TUN. ( Nakamaru ) Q12: What did each of you feel

[SUBS] Nani Suru KAT-TUN? 2021.04.19 #1

  2021.04.19 Nani Suru KAT-TUN? #1.mp4 Subs: FchanHyphen Timing & typesetting: Citraryo Raw: FchanHyphen Download:  MEGA I'll also take the chance to introduce our subbing team's name: Ikoka. From now on all our subbing projects will have the Ikoka watermark. Sorry about that, I hope you don't mind it too much. Ikoka stands for ika (squid), tako (octopus) and kani (crab), and it represents each of the 3nin's favorite foods.  We'll try to sub as many episodes as possible, but since it's only two of us it may take a while. Thank you in advance for your patience! Please continue to support KAT-TUN ♡

[SUBS] Nani Suru KAT-TUN? 2021.05.24 #2

  2021.05.24 Nani Suru KAT-TUN? #2.mp4 Subs: FchanHyphen Timing & typesetting: Roro Proofreading: LnF Raw: theqoo Download:  MEGA