Skip to main content

KAT-TUN CHAIN pamphlet: group interview


Talk of KAT-TUN Episode 01

KAT-TUN. Past and present, likes and dislikes.

"From the beginning until now, I've always liked KAT-TUN" 
(Taguchi Junnosuke)

K: If I think about it since Junior times, we've had a long relationship with each other, but the first time we met the atmosphere wasn't the same as it is now.

TJ: That's true. Like, in the beginning I used to call Koki "Koki-kun" (laughs).

N: I probably used to say "Tanaka-kun"!

TK: Well, actually I was a senpai so it couldn't be helped (laughs).

U: The last to become Jr was Taguchi and the first one was Koki, how long was it between that period?

TJ: Just about a year.

U: Well~, when KAT-TUN was formed, Koki was really nasty (laughs).

TK: Eh, what's this, you can't make this publicly on the tour pamphlet? (laughs) But it's true, I confess it. (laughs).

 TJ: By the way, the staff who knew us at that time reminded me that at that time, everyone used to say all the time "I don't like KAT-TUN" (laughs).

K: Yeah~, I don't remember saying it though...

U: No way~, Kamenashi and Koki actually used to say it a lot! Also when we went to Hawaii for an interview you said "I don't want to go with these members". 

N: There's a guy with a good memory (laughs).

K: ... Really? Ah, I kind of remember something (laughs). OK, then allow me to say this as well, I on the other hand, was not happy with Nakamaru, Ueda and Taguchi for not saying anything. At that time, when we were organising the live and I asked "is there anything you want to do?", you guys reacted really negatively like "no, not really..."!

TK: This is really becoming a something like a "criticising meeting" (laughs). But everything talked about so far happened more than 10 years ago (laughs).

U: I didn't complain, but anyways, I have memories of KAT-TUN not being comfortable during that time.

TJ: Eh, really? I wasn't at all. 

N: Me neither. I entered on the same year as Kamenashi, and although Koki was a senpai we quickly became close... Taguchi is like this (laughs).

U: You're the type who's good in that situation (laughs). [good at buttering up] 

N: You're giving people the wrong idea (laughs). 

K: (laughs) That's true, Ueda and Nakamaru were also close. 


"Because I'm going by my moods, both now and in the past. 
I don't decide upon calculation."
(Ueda Tatsuya)

K: However, during Jr times, KAT-TUN was a collection of "people from different sections", wasn't it?

TK: Right, right. To then suddenly be put together into one was "Aaaaargh!" (holds head and quivers) like that (laughs).

K: By the way, Taguchi used to be in the front row position.

N: Yeah! Taguchi showed up suddenly and became the main out of nowhere.

TK: At the same time Taguchi was pushed to the front, people found out he wasn't prepared for it (laughs).

TJ: Yeah, maybe (smiles).

N: Hahaha, are you admitting it? (laughs)

TJ: When did everyone start thinking "KAT-TUN is good"?

K: Wasn't it from the time when we started our own live? 

N: Same for me. The first live ('02) at Tokyo International Forum.

TJ: Do you like KAT-TUN now?

K: ... I do.

TK: Me too.

TJ: From the beginning until now, I've always liked it!!

TK: Unfortunately, KAT-TUN doesn't like you.

TJ: Stop messing around! (laughs)

TK: Hahaha. I'm lying, just lying. ... What about Ueda?

U: I wonder.

N: I don't think KAT-TUN's existence is a matter of like or hate anymore. 

U: Right, that's how I feel too.

K: Right, Ueda's world view used to be a mystery. Suddenly started saying "I can see fairies". (laughs) When I touched on it during the MC and said "that's a lie, right!?", afterwards you were like "don't tsukkomi me" and got angry at me (laughs).

TK: Since a long time ago, Ueda's basics haven't changed at all. However, occasionally he shows a completely different character (laughs).

U: Because I'm going by my moods, both now and in the past. It's not like "I'm going with this character this time" or something, I don't decide upon calculation. 

TJ: We all have those moods, but you can see it the clearest in Uepi's case. 

K: Lately I've been able to read it better than before, and go "Ah, today Ueda is in this mood". Oh yeah, I know it's sudden, but can I share an old "cute episode" I've just remembered? We've been saying "I hated KAT-TUN" and that sort of thing, right? But when I got my driver's license, the very first to ride in my car were... Ueda and Nakamaru. See, it's a cute and smiley episode, right!? (laughs)

U: I remember! At that time you couldn't get on the highway (laughs).

K: Right! One the way back, I got nervous about wanting to drive on the highway and I couldn't get on it, so I drove on the local roads all the way home (laughs). 

All: Ahahahaha!

TJ: What, that's so funny!! (laughs)

N: I remember, I remember!



Talk of KAT-TUN Episode 02

Overcoming serious fights.

"I won't be beaten up. That's the most important. I'm glad, I'm glad."
(Nakamaru Yuichi)

N: I'm going back to what we were talking about, but earlier we mentioned Ueda's angriness, right? The only person who has fought with every single member is Ueda.

TJ: I have never fought.

TK: You didn't fight, but we have all been seriously angry at you! (laughs)

TJ: Yeah, that's true (laughs).

U: Hahaha! (laughs) Sure, I had lots of fights, but it never became a fight with Taguchi and Nakamaru. (laughs)

N: Eh, am I that type?

U: Yeah. I would get really stressed (laughs). I would get angry and say something like "enough, come here [to fight]!" to provoke you, right? But during those times you would always say very calmly "... what are you on about" and let it go.

N: Just say I'm an adult (laughs). 

U: That's when I realised! "I'll stop having a go at Nakamaru. There's no point..." (laughs). Thanks to you, I have become an adult too.

N: That's the most important. I'm glad, I'm glad (laughs).

K: ... Somehow~ I can't hit Nakamaru (laughs).

4nin: Ahahaha 

TK: That's true, Nakamaru is the only one I can't hit.

K: If I ended up hitting him in the spur of the moment, I think I'd spend a year afterwards just being kind to him (laughs).

N: I see, a year of nobody beating me up. That's the most important. I'm glad, I'm glad (laughs).

K: We all make fun of Taguchi, but the truth is he's actually loved. We just don't want to say it (laughs).

TJ: (in good spirits) Eh, you should say it more and more~~

4nin: ............

K: There are many things like this that annoy me a bit (laughs), but I won't let it be brought up here. The type that doesn't go away until the next day, like "that guy really annoys me". 

TK: ... Right? Part of me is like "I'll forgive him, because it's him". But on the other hand, there are too many times in which I'm like "I'm really annoyed, because it is him" (laughs).

TJ: So there are advantages and disadvantages (laughs). I was the last one to join, right? That's why I didn't really have an argument with anyone... But I was on the receiving end of anger (laughs)... But, because of my personality, even that seems like a fun memory? 

4nin: Ahahaha!

N: That's important.

TJ: Kame and I are the same age. But I... At that time, I really respected you.

N: What's up suddenly? (laughs)

K: Ah, thanks. That's alright, that's alright! Give me more of that!! (laughs)

TJ: You see, I was guy who didn't used to think about anything. But at that time, Kame used to think about all sorts of things. I admired him, "we're the same age, but he's amazing".

U: Back then I wasn't trying to get to know the members that proactively. I didn't try to get to know what was in Kame's heart but just looking at the exterior I thought "he's amazing". Now that I think about it, I understand the meaning behind Kame's words and actions back then.



"We were just kids. Even if we had fights, the next day we would go back to normal"
(Tanaka Koki)

TK: Right? We didn't try to understand the true motive of Kame's behaviour, and Kame knew that as well so he didn't explain it... It was that kind of situation, I'm sure.

K: At that time it was like "all I want is to make KAT-TUN famous!". So even at work places I was like "why don't you get more serious!?". 

TJ: That's true, you used to say it often. 

K:  That was the cause of the now famous fight between Ueda and me.

TK: I'll explain it for the new fans who are coming to our concert for the first time. A long time ago, during a concert performance, Nakamaru's microphone disappeared and he couldn't sing his part, and no other member followed up on it. Later, Kame got angry at Ueda saying "why didn't you follow up!". In that song, Ueda's part was just after Nakamaru's, so Kame said "It's obvious you should have paid attention and sang Nakamaru's part!".

N: Right. But Ueda got angry at the way Kame said it, and the fight started right there.

U: Well, since I got the chance, can I make an excuse for what happened that time? It's the first time I talk about it...

TK: Now, after 10 years? (laughs)

U: I didn't say anything until now, but actually that time... My eyes were so bad, I couldn't see well what was happening on stage. (laughs)

4nin: Eh~~~~~~~~~!!

K: Really? Then why didn't you simply say "I couldn't see" at that time!?

U: I was at an age where I was hot blooded [hormones], so I just flipped (laughs).

TK: (laughs) Well, if the two of you now instead of being like "huh!?", had just said "I couldn't see" and "ok, then next time let's all be careful", then this big thing would probably have never happened (laughs). 

 K: I can still clearly remember Ueda's words from that time. "I can't do those kind of things, I'm not like you!" (laughs).

TK: He was angry, but what he said was actually a compliment (laughs).

U: I did say that line (laughs).

K: Hahaha. But it was a good fight.

N: But I never thought that today, after 10 years, the truth would come to the top.

TK: Thinking about what we've talked about so far, basically we were really just kids. Even if we had fights, it didn't last long, the next day we'd be back to normal. 

K: That's right, we were kids. Also, in the past, when I heard that a member got to do work by himself, I was so full of jealousy, but now I can honestly think "do your best!", "oh, you're working hard!".

TJ: Hmm~ Even in those areas, I didn't think about anything. I was satisfied with being given work regularly... I was that kind of child (laughs).

N: That is being too indifferent, isn't it? (laughs). I was also somewhat jealous. Because at the start we were almost the same, right? That's why there was some rivalry, after all. 

TK: That's true. I minded the division of the song parts. 

N: Something like "why is it not me doing the 'tch' part" (in Real Face)? (laughs)

 TK: I'm the real one clicking my tongue behind the scenes (laughs).

All: Ahahahaha! 

N: I could hear a tongue clicking sound coming from the side... That was you!? (laughs)

TK: Hahaha. That never happened (laughs).


Talk of KAT-TUN Episode 03

The bond with fans, the bond between members. 
For CHAIN, a more solid and even more intense tour.

"I'd be happy if everyone's feelings are connected there." 
(Kamenashi Kazuya) 


N: Right now I have the strong feeling that we are KAT-TUN.

U: Me too.

K: I think KAT-TUN is precious... All members agree with this affection. Everyone says everything they want to say even during discussions.

TK: It's strange, isn't it? In the beginning we were like "I can't take this anymore!", the us who used to bicker and fight halfway through, now feel that we must protect the group called KAT-TUN. 

N: For example, going out to eat a meal together. We're doing that~. Besides that, I think a major change is that everyone seems to listen to each other's opinions more than before. Before, it was like it's OK to just say our own opinion. We didn't understand someone's opinion and from there it developed into an argument.

K: There was that part, wasn't there? I was the type of kid that when I couldn't agree with something I would say "I had enough" and go home (laughs)... I was a brat, really. 

TK: Then we started to make an effort to understand each other's opinions. For example, someone says "I want to do this". Before, we would quickly say "no way", but recently we say "that's not possible, but what about this?" and it becomes a more positive discussion. This is a massive thing.

TJ: After all, when doing something, communication is important.

TK: Our roots haven't changed from then to now, but we became able to talk about work properly and constructively. 

U: It's a good change, isn't it?

 K: Also because it was decided that last year's concert was postponed, we all frequently discussed "what should we do for the next concert?". We couldn't hold the concert, I've always felt that meeting the fans in person equals the importance of live performances. That's why this time we want to express all our feelings with the CHAIN tour, close the gap between everyone and make a connection.

TJ: I think we are a group that was brought up doing concerts. We did it every year without exception during Junior era. Isn't this the first time we've been this long without a concert?

U: There was also a year when we were on tour for about half the year straight. 

N: Until now I had taken holding concerts for granted, but this time I got that feeling of "I'm happy to be able to do it" again.

TK: Because this is a concert we've always wanted to do and continuously prayed for. We're fully psyched.     

N: Whenever I get into making a concert I always think "I want more time!", but this time those feelings are especially stronger. 

TJ: True, true. Until now, the way to make it was like this, we got a big drafted proposal at the beginning and we would complete it from there... but this time for the first time ever we're doing it "all from zero by ourselves", so we want even more time.

U: Because we're having several meetings going on at the same time. Of course about songs and choreography, but also the playing section, videos, settings, costumes... every single thing.

K: I think it must also be hard for the staff. They're stuck between the our requests and the preparation period. 

TJ: Right. After the meetings they'll do their job properly and then bring it back to us, but when we see it we're like "I want to do it more here", and we all blurt out with ideas...

TK: I often see the staff like this (puts hands on the forehead, closes eyes, looks up to the sky) (laughs). But I'm really grateful for their hard work to make our wishes as much as possible.

K: Right. In working that way, doesn't the entire concert have that "adult feeling" throughout it? There's also a balance between the excitement of having a blast and being fascinated by it.

N: There are many worked up songs.

K: I feel that until last time, the keyword "up to now" was there somewhere. "A progress extended up to now". But this time is a 180 degrees different... I won't go as far as saying it, but doesn't something like "a KAT-TUN that didn't exist up to now" come through? 

TK: Right, right. It feels like before, the "strength" of the "attacking KAT-TUN" and "KAT-TUN forwardness" was like a façade. But now it's softer and warmer... We're becoming that type of KAT-TUN. Until now it was "cold (ツン)", and finally "hot (デレ)" comes out now (laughs).

N: It's been quite a long span between hot and cold (ツンデレ) (laughs).

TK: That's why the guys who come to see us get intoxicated by us! (laughs).

N: Oh, you went back to cold (ツン). And this time the span was really short (laughs).

TJ: That's why this time the title of the concert is "CHAIN (チェーン)" , there's also the "CHANGE (チェンジ)" meaning.  [sounds similar...]

4nin: ....................... (silent for a while)

TK: Why did you decide on the title on your own now? I thought I'd let it go, but I couldn't after all (laughs).

TJ: I thought I had said something clever with the "che (チェ)" connection (laughs).

U: (laughs) Well, we've been talking about our feelings until now, but our main goal is for the customers who come to see us for the first time in 2 years to have fun, release stress, and go back home thinking "I'm glad I came"... At this stage of rehearsals and meetings, I think it is nice that we can complete "the part that is fun to watch" and "the part that we can enjoy and get excited about together".  

N: Also, this time more than ever, the concert goods and the concert contents are linked.

TJ: That's true! Also we're using normal things to make the stage sets.

TK: Right. We got really psyched about it, and we discussed a lot even just about the goods.

TJ: Also, you know, I was really happy when my opinion was approved (laughs). By the way, it was my idea to put a face photo on the stickers! 

U: We don't need that kind of appeal (laughs).

N: I tried to go for computer goods, but this time it wasn't approved... (laughs).

K: What's fun offstage? It has to be the foods from various places!

TJ: Ne~ only once it's fine, so let's eat motsunabe [beef/pork tripe hot pot] in Fukuoka. We always have mizutaki [chicken hot pot]. [both are Fukuoka specialties]

U: You can go by yourself then. If I wanted to eat it that much, I'd go by myself.

TJ: But alone it's too lonely! We came all this way, I want to eat it together! Ne, won't someone go with me?

N: For me has to be mizutaki.

K U TK: Me too.

TK: We decided before the tour started (laughs).

N: After each concert, excitedly eating nice food... It will become a nice memory of the tour again. 

TJ: Right, right. This time, there's quite a few places we're going for the first time, so we look forward to both the "stage" and the "food"!

TK: Of course, we can look forward to the "food" because we give it our all while performing. Also, this time there are a lot of songs we haven't played on concerts yet, right? That's another thing to really look forward to!

N: True, it's like that for the album songs and single songs. Then, in the last two concert tours, Koki chose one of the members on the spot to sing the rap part in "Real Face"... didn't you do something like that?

K: That was like a natural occurring "play", wasn't it? 

N: As the number of performances increased, I gradually realised "oh, this is the playing part" (laughs). It would be fun if that sort of thing could happen in this tour as well.

U: Right? Isn't that what makes the tour interesting? It feels like the concert itself is gradually evolving and growing. 

K: For those who come to see us, our affection for KAT-TUN, the growth from the past and the progress to the future, all these meanings are conveyed in the tour title "CHAIN"... I want you to feel all of that. Then, in the last beloved moment of the concert, during the "We are KAT-TUN!" part that we always do, it would be great if the stage and the audience, basically everyone there, while holding hands became connected by this feeling. 




Comments

  1. As a 5nin elitist this is really really touching ♥ Thank you very much for translating and sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

[SUBS] Nani Suru KAT-TUN? 2021.03.31 #0

 2021.03.31 Nani Suru KAT-TUN? #0 (562.8MB 39m41s).mp4 Subs: FchanHyphen Timing & typesetting: Citraryo Raw: FchanHyphen Download:  MEGA List of the 15 questions asked: Q1: Looking back frankly on the 15th anniversary since debut. ( Kamenashi ) Q2: Looking back frankly on the 15th anniversary since debut. ( Ueda ) Q3: Looking back frankly on the 15th anniversary since debut. ( Nakamaru ) Q4: What was the biggest change in yourself since debut. ( Ueda , Nakamaru , Kame ) Q5: The part which has not changed since debut. ( Nakamaru ) Q6: A song you're fond of. ( Kamenashi , Ueda , Nakamaru ) Q7: KAT-TUN's appeal and strenght. ( Ueda , Kamenashi , Nakamaru ) Q8: The relationship between the three of you in KAT-TUN. ( Ueda , Kamenashi , Nakamaru ) Q9: What do you think about being in an idol group? ( Kamenashi , Ueda , Nakamaru ) Q10: What is the motivation that kept KAT-TUN going? ( Ueda , Nakamaru , Kamenashi ) Q11: A word to KAT-TUN. ( Nakamaru ) Q12: What did each of you feel

[SUBS] Nani Suru KAT-TUN? 2021.04.19 #1

  2021.04.19 Nani Suru KAT-TUN? #1.mp4 Subs: FchanHyphen Timing & typesetting: Citraryo Raw: FchanHyphen Download:  MEGA I'll also take the chance to introduce our subbing team's name: Ikoka. From now on all our subbing projects will have the Ikoka watermark. Sorry about that, I hope you don't mind it too much. Ikoka stands for ika (squid), tako (octopus) and kani (crab), and it represents each of the 3nin's favorite foods.  We'll try to sub as many episodes as possible, but since it's only two of us it may take a while. Thank you in advance for your patience! Please continue to support KAT-TUN ♡

[SUBS] Nani Suru KAT-TUN? 2021.05.24 #2

  2021.05.24 Nani Suru KAT-TUN? #2.mp4 Subs: FchanHyphen Timing & typesetting: Roro Proofreading: LnF Raw: theqoo Download:  MEGA